A miniature version of the larger species of pineapple is the baby pineapple, also referred to as a mini pineapple. This variety of fruit grows only to a height of 12 to 15 cm with a diameter of approximately 9,5 cm. The flavour and appearance of the baby pineapple is the same as the larger pineapple. However, the inner core of the baby pineapple is tender and sweet flavoured instead of tough and fibrous like the larger member of the pineapple family. The baby pineapple provides a smaller amount of fruit that can be nicely used when making fresh fruit salads, beverages, and baked goods.
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Baby pineapples are available from South Africa and Mauritius
Copper, Fiber, Manganese, Thiamin, Vitamin B6 and C
Baby pineapple is native to Brazil and grows on the prickly pineapple plant. Baby pineapple tastes like an ordinary pineapple, sweet and sour.View Baby pineapple
Remove the plume by cutting it at the crown with a sharp knife. Cut the baby pineapples lengthwise in 4 quarters. Cut off the rind with a sharp small knife. Cut the 4 cleaned pieces in small parts.Consumption
The fruit is not only delicious eaten fresh on its own. Baby pineapples are also used in many other ways. It is added to fruit salad, pies, cakes, ice cream, yogurt, punches, and juiced. The fruit is also an ingredient in most sweet and sour dishes and is used in many savory dishes.When to eat
Unripe baby pineapples can be ripened at room temperature. They are chill-sensitive and should not be stored in the refrigerator.
Did you know?
- In the Philippines, pineapple leaves are used as the source of a textile fiber called piña.
- There are hundreds of varieties in pineapple, ranging from very large to miniature size.
- Baby pineapples are a composite of many flowers whose individual fruitlets fuse together around a central core. Each fruitlet can be identified by an “eye”, the rough spiny marking on the baby pineapple’s surface.
- Pitahaya filled with tropical fruit
- Pancake filled with papaya
- Fruit salad with kumquats & chocolate
- Fruit salad with rambutan