The lime is, right after the kumquat and the limequat, the smallest members of the citrus family. The exact origin is unknown, but is likely from the far East. The fruit is about 6 centimeters in diameter and has a green, thick skin. Limes have a tender, seedless yellow flesh. Limes are known for their taste that is fresher and less sour than that of a lemon.
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Limes are available from Brazil and Mexico
Antioxidants, Calcium, Fiber, Potassium, Iron and Vitamin C.
Tahitian limes are large, with a pale, finely-grained pulp and a very acidic flavour.View Tahiti limes
Cut the fruit in two halves. From here, extract the juice with a reamer or by squeezing it by hand.Consumption
Limes are commonly not consumed on their own because of their sour flavour. Commonly they are converted into juice or used to flavour dishes.When to eat
Limes are ripe when they have a firm and green, yellowish skin. Limes kept at room temperature will stay fresh up to one week. If you will not be using them within this period, you can store the limes in the refrigerator where they will keep fresh for about 10-14 days.
Did you know?
- It’s thought that British naval ships were required to carry limes to help the sailors prevent scurvy, due to the lime’s high vitamin C content. The nickname “limeys” for British sailors has continued to this day.
- Lime extracts and oils are used in cleaning supplies, perfume and aromatherapy.
- Mexicans put limes in the neck of their beer bottles to keep mosquitoes away and to give the drink an extra bite.
- Pomegranate Prosecco
- Mojito with granadilla
- Crab Spring Rolls with avocado
- Couscous with mango salsa
- Refreshing mint cocktail
- Mango Salad with marinated prawns
- Cannelloni of fillodough, fresh salmon & choisam
- Pancake filled with papaya
- Pitahaya jelly with strawberry sauce
- Salad with kumquats & smoked duck
- Cupcakes with kumquats and Italian foam
- Ice tea with kumquats, lime & mint
- Kumquat marmalade
- Fruit salad with kumquats & chocolate
- Package of asparagus and fillet of sole
- Oriental shrimp cocktail
- Japanese avocado soup