Snow peas - Mange tout
Mange tout is a legume or more specifically a variety of pea eaten whole in its pod while still unripe. Mangetout is a flat version of garden peas and is native to Asia. The pods of mangetouts are flat and thin. Generally the shadows of the flat little peas inside can be seen. One pod contains five to seven seeds and reaches a length of 2,5 to 7 centimeters. The taste of mangetout is milder and sweeter than that of the garden pea.
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Mangetout is available from Guatemala, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Ethiopia and Peru.
Fiber, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Vitamin A, B6, C and K.
Mangetout - Snow peas
The pods of mangetouts are flat and thin. Generally the shadows of the flat little peas inside can be seen.View Mangetout - Snow peas
Cut of the stem end of each pod. Then wash the pod. From here, either consume the peas raw or further prepare them. Mangetout can be boiled, steamed, or stir-fried. Whichever method is preferred, keep cooking time short, to maintain texture.Consumption
Mangetout is eaten with its pod. Raw peas are delicious and sweet, but the peas are even sweeter when cooked. Mangetout can be boiled, steamed or stir-fried. They also taste great in stews and salads.When to eat
Mangetout should have a crispy, thin and smooth pod. Fresh mangetout can best be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within one week.
Did you know?
- Mangetouts are sometimes called Chinese pea pods or Snow peas.
- It is speculated that the name, Snow peas, comes from the whitish tint reflected from the pods. It also may come because of their tendency to grow at the end of winter, just before the last spring freeze. They can be covered with snow during these times.
- Peas have been used in the dry form since ancient times, and archaeologists found them in Egyptian tombs. It was not until the sixteenth century that more tender varieties were developed and eaten fresh.
- Mangetout has about double the amount of calcium than green peas.
- Mangetout is For Life certified.
Refreshing mangetout salad
Oven dish of mangetout and potatoes
Vegetable quiche with mangetout and Bleu d'Auvergne
Mangetout and shiitake mushroom ragout
Layered smoked salmon tower with stir-fried mangetout